Paul J. Nietert, PhD
Collaborative Unit Director
Division of Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, and Epidemiology
Department of Medicine
Methodological Research Interests
· Group randomized trials
· Quality of care
· Health services research
Clinical Research Interests
· Cardiovascular disease
· Rheumatologic diseases (systemic sclerosis, lupus)
· Pulmonary disease
· Theoretical Foundations of Statistics (BMTRY-706)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles (hyperlinked to PubMed citation where available)
1. Dimashkieh H, Wolff DJ, Smith TM, Houser PM, Nietert PJ, Yang (2013). Evaluation of UroVysion and cytology for bladder cancer detection: a study of 1,835 paired urine samples with clinical and histological correlation. In press, Cancer Cytopathology.
2. Ornstein SM, Nietert PJ, Jenkins RG, Litvin CB (2013). The prevalence of chronic diseases and multi-morbidity in primary care practice. In press, Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine.
3. Butts RJ, Scheurer MA, Zyblewski SC, Wahlquist AE, Nietert PJ, Bradley SM, Atz Am, Graham EM (2013). A composite outcome for neonatal cardiac surgery research. In press, The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
4. Ornstein SM, Jenkins RG, Litvin CB, Wessell AM, Nietert PJ (2013). Preventive services delivery in patients with chronic illnesses: parallel opportunities rather than competing obligations. In press, Annals of Family Medicine.
5. Ornstein SM, Miller PM, Wessell AM, Jenkins RG, Nemeth LS, Nietert PJ (2013). Integration and sustainability of alcohol screening, brief intervention, and pharmacotherapy in primary care settings. In press, Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs.
6. Doelken P, Huggins JT, Goldblatt M, Nietert PJ, Sahn SA (2013). The Effects of co-existing pneumonia and end-stage renal disease on the pleural fluid analysis in patients with hydrostatic pleural effusion. In press, Chest.
7. Gebregziabher M, Egede LE, Gilbert GE, Hunt KJ, Nietert PJ, Mauldin P (2012). Fitting parametric random effects models in very large data sets: An application to VHA national data. In press, BMC Medical Research Methodology.
8. Litvin CB, Ornstein SM, Wessell AW, Nemeth LS, Nietert PJ (2012). Use of an Electronic Health Record Clinical Decision Support Tool to Improve Antibiotic Prescribing for Acute Respiratory Infections. In press, Journal of General Internal Medicine.
9. Nietert PJ, Wahlquist AE, Herbert TL (2013). Characteristics of recent biostatistical methods adopted by researchers publishing in general / internal medicine journals. Statistics in Medicine, 32(1):1-10. PMCID: PMC3521084.
10. Welty LJ, Carter RE, Finkelstein D, Harrell FE, Lindsell CJ, Macaluso M, Mazumdar M, Nietert PJ, Oster Ra, Pollock BH, Roberson PK, Ware JH (2013). Strategies for developing biostatistics resources in an academic health center. Academic Medicine, 88(4): 454-460.
11. Mainous AG, Lambourne CA, Nietert PJ (2012). Impact of a clinical decision support system on antibiotic prescribing for acute respiratory infections in primary care: quasi-experimental trial. In press, Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association.
12. The Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2012). C-reactive protein, fibrinogen, and cardiovascular disease prediction. In press, New England Journal of Medicine.
13. The Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2012). Lipid-related markers and cardiovascular disease prediction. In press, JAMA.
14. The Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2012). Adult stature and the risk of cause-specific death and vascular morbidity in 1 million people: individual participant meta-analysis. In press, International Journal of Epidemiology.
15. McEvoy MD, Smalley JC, Nietert PJ, Field LC, Furse CM, Blenko JW, Cobb BG, Walters JL, Pendarvis A, Dalal NS, Schaefer JJ (2012). Assessment of the reliability of a detailed scoring checklist for use during advanced cardiac life support certification. Simulation in Healthcare; 7(4):222-235.
16. Pohl D, Ciolino J, Roberts J, Savarino E, Freeman J, Nietert PJ, Tutuian R, Castell D (2012). Functional aspects of distal oesophageal spasm: The role of onset velocity and contraction amplitude on bolus transit. Digestive and Liver Disease, 44(7): 569-575.
17. Bernard ML, Shotwell M, Nietert PJ, Gold MR (2012). Meta-analysis of bleeding complications associated with cardiac rhythm device implantation. Circulation: Arrhythmia and Electrophysiology, 5(3):468-474.
18. Mehta HJ, Bhanusheli G, Nietert PJ, Pastis N (2012). The association between initial anion gap and outcomes in medical intensive care unit patients. In press, Journal of Critical Care.
19. Namboodiri AM, Nietert PJ, Wadia PP, Miklos DB, Pandey JP (2012). Humoral immunity to cytomegalovirus and chronic graft-versus-host disease. In press, Viral Immunology.
20. Litvin CB, Wessell AM, Nietert PJ, Jenkins RG, Nemeth LS, Ornstein SM (2012). Adoption of a clinical decision support system to promote judicious use of antibiotics for acute respiratory infections in primary care. International Journal of Medical Informatics, 81:521-526.
21. Wessell AM, Ornstein SM, Jenkins RG, Nemeth LS, Litvin CB, Nietert PJ (2012). Medication safety in primary care practice: results from a PPRNet quality improvement intervention. In press, American Journal of Medical Quality.
22. Tanner NT, Gomez M, Rainwater C, Nietert PJ, Simon GR, Green MR, Silvestri GA (2012). Physician preferences for management of patients with stage IIIA NSCLC: impact of bulk of nodal disease on therapy selection. Journal of Thoracic Oncology; 7(2):365-369.
23. Nemeth LS, Ornstein SM, Jenkins RG, Wessell AM, Nietert PJ (2012). Implementing and evaluating electronic standing orders in primary care practice: a PPRNet study. In press, Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine.
24. Bonilha HS, Gerlach TT, Sutton LE, Dawson A, Nietert PJ (2012). Laryngeal sensation before and after clearing behaviors. In press, Journal of Voice.
25. Rapsomaniki E, White IR, Wood AM, Thompson SG, and the Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2011). A framework for quantifying net benefits of alternative prognostic models. Statistics in Medicine; 31(2):114-130. DOI: 10.1002/sim.4362.
26. Memoli JW, Nietert PJ, Silvestri GA (2011). Meta-analysis of guided bronchoscopy for the evaluation of the pulmonary nodule. In press, Chest.
27. Moore CG, Carter R, Nietert PJ, Stewart PW (2011). Recommendations for planning pilot studies in clinical and translational research. In press, Clinical and Translational Science.
28. Velez JCQ, Nietert PJ (2011). Therapeutic response to vasoconstrictors in hepatorenal syndrome parallels increase in mean arterial pressure: a pooled analysis of clinical trials. In press, American Journal of Kidney Diseases.
29. Jackson TK, Wise HH, Nietert PJ, Brown DD, Sword DO, Diehl NS (2011). Interaction with a health care professional influences change in physical activity behaviors among individuals with a spinal cord injury. In press, Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation.
30. DeMarco JR, Componovo R, Barfield WR, Liles L, Nietert PJ (2011). Efficacy of augmenting a subacromial continuous-infusion pump with a preoperative interscalene block in outpatient arthroscopic shoulder surgery: a prospective, randomized, blinded, placebo-controlled study. Arthroscopy, 27(5): 603-610.
31. Bogatkevich GS, Ludwicka-Bradley A, Nietert PJ, Akter T, van Ryn J, Silver RM (2011). Anti-inflammatory and anti-fibrotic effects of the oral direct thrombin inhibitor dabigatran etexilate in a murine model of interstitial lung disease. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 63(5):1416-1425. doi: 1002/art.30255. PMCID: PMC3086970.
32. Budisavljevic MN, Nietert PJ, Zhai Y, Dooley MJ, Rajagopalan PR (2011). Long term effects of kidney donation on renal function and blood pressure in African Americans. The Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, 6(6):1474-1480.
33. The Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2011). Separate and combined associations of body-mass index and abdominal adiposity with cardiovascular disease: collaborative analysis of 58 prospective studies. The Lancet, 377(9771):1085-1095.
34. Darden PM, Gustafson KK, Nietert PJ, Jacobson RM (2011). Extra-immunization as a clinical indicator of fragmentation of care. Public Health Reports, 126 (Suppl 2): 48-59.
35. Gurung P, Goldblatt M, Huggins JT, Doelken P, Nietert PJ, Sahn SA (2011). Pleural fluid analysis, radiographic and echocardiographic characteristics of hepatic hydrothorax. In press, Chest.
36. The Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2010). Diabetes mellitus, fasting glucose, and risk of cause-specific mortality. New England Journal of Medicine, 364(9): 829-841.
37. Litvin CB, Nietert PJ, Wessell AM, Jenkins RG, Ornstein SM (2010). Recognition and management of chronic kidney disease in primary care. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 57(4): 646-647. PMCID: PMC3073568.
38. Nietert PJ, Dooley MJ (2010). The power of the sign test given uncertainty in the proportion of tied observations. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 32(1): 147-150. PMCID: PMC3005845.
39. Pandey JP, Namboodiri AM, Kurtenkov O, Nietert PJ (2010). Genetic regulation of antibody responses to human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER-2) in breast cancer. Human Immunology, 71(11):1124-1127. PMCID: PMC3107668.
40. Ornstein SM, Nemeth LS, Jenkins RG, Nietert PJ (2010). Colorectal cancer screening in primary care: translating research into practice. Medical Care, 48:900-906.
41. The Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2010). Statistical methods for the time-to-event analysis of individual participant data from multiple epidemiological studies. International Journal of Epidemiology, 39(5): 1359-1361. PMCID: PMC2972437.
42. The Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2010). Diabetes mellitus, fasting blood glucose concentration, and risk of vascular disease: a collaborative meta-analysis of 102 prospective studies. The Lancet, 375(9733):2215-2222.
43. The Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2010). Triglyceride-mediated pathways and coronary disease. The Lancet, 375(9726):1634-1639.
44. Nietert PJ, Ravenel JG, Taylor KK, Silvestri GA (2010). Influence of nodule detection software (NDS) on radiologists’ confidence in identifying pulmonary nodules with CT. Journal of Thoracic Imaging, 26(1): 48-53.
45. Wessell AM, Litvin C, Jenkins RG, Nietert PJ, Nemeth LS, Ornstein SM (2010). Medication prescribing and monitoring errors in primary care: a report from the Practice Partner Research Network (PPRNet). Quality and Safety in Health Care, 19(5):e21. doi: 10.1136/qshc.2009.034678.
46. Axon RN, Nietert PJ, Egan BM (2010). Antihypertensive medication prescribing patterns in a university teaching hospital. Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 12(4):246-252. PMCID: PMC2997726.
47. Appelgren KE, Nietert PJ, Wagner CL, Hulsey TC, Hollis BW (2010). Analyzing adherence to prenatal supplement: does pill count measure up? International Journal of Endocrinology, 2010: doi:10.1155/2010/631971.
49. The Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2010). C-reactive protein concentration and the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and mortality: collaborative analysis of data on 160,309 participants from 54 cohorts. The Lancet, 375(9709):132-140.
50. Dahoui HA, Hayek MN, Nietert PJ, Arabi MT, Muwakkit SA, Saab RH, Bissar AN, Jumaa NM, Farhat FS, Dabbous IA, Bitar FF, Abboud MR (2009). Pulmonary hypertension in children and young adults with sickle cell disease: evidence for familial clustering. Pediatric Blood & Cancer, 54:398-402.
51. The Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2009). Lipoprotein(a) concentration and the risk of coronary heart disease, stroke and nonvascular mortality: individual data analysis of 126,634 participants from 36 prospective studies. JAMA, 302(4):412-423.
53. Pandey JP, Nietert PJ, Klaamas K, Kurtenkov O (2009). A genetic variant of immunoglobulin γ2 is strongly associated with immunity to mucin 1 in patients with breast cancer. Cancer Immunol Immunotherapy, 58:2025-2029.
54. Nemeth LS, Jenkins RG, Nietert PJ, Ornstein SM (2009). Colorectal screening in primary care: theoretical model to improve prevalence in the Practice Partner Research Network. Health Promotion Practice epub ahead of print: DOI:10.1177/1524839909332139.
55. Cooper GS, Makris SL, Nietert PJ, Jinot J (2009). Evidence of autoimmune-related effects of trichloroethylene exposure from studies in mice and humans. Environmental Health Perspectives, 117(5):696-702.
56. Nietert PJ, Ravenel JG, Leue WM, Miller JV, Taylor KK, Garrett-Mayer ES, Silvestri GA (2009). Imprecision in automated volume measurements of pulmonary nodules and its effect on the level of uncertainty in volume doubling time estimation. Chest, 135:1580-1587.
57. Nietert PJ, Jenkins RG, Nemeth LS, Ornstein SM (2009). An application of a modified constrained randomization process to a practice-based cluster randomized trial to improve colorectal cancer screening. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 30:129-132.
58. Wise HH, Thomas KJ, Nietert PJ, Brown DD, Sword DO, Diehl N (2008). Home physical activity programs for the promotion of health and wellness in individuals with spinal cord injury. Topics in Spinal Cord Injury, 14(4):122-132.
59. Nemeth LS, Nietert PJ, Ornstein SM (2009). High performance in screening for colorectal cancer: a Practice Partner Research Network (PPRNet) case study. Journal of the American Board of Family Medicine, 22:141-146.
61. Nietert PJ, Tilley BC, Zhao W, Edwards PF, Wessell AM, Mauldin PD, Polk PP (2008). Two pharmacy interventions to improve refill persistence for chronic disease medications: a randomized, controlled trial. Medical Care, 47(1): 32-40.
62. Ford DW, Silvestri GA, Nietert PJ, Zapka J, Zoller JS (2008). Barriers to hospice enrollment among lung cancer patients: a survey of family members and physicians. Palliative and Supportive Care, 6(4):357-362.
63. Bradford WD, Kleit AN, Nietert PJ, Ornstein SM (2009). The effect of direct to consumer television advertising on the timing of treatment. Economic Inquiry, 48(2): 306-322. DOI: 10.1111/j.1465-7295.2009.00215.x.
64. Pandey JP, Nietert PJ, von Mensdorff-Pouilly S, Klaamas K, Kurtenkov O (2008). Immunoglobulin allotypes influence antibody responses to mucin 1 in patients with gastric cancer. Cancer Research, 68(11):4442-4446.
65. Ornstein SM, Nietert PJ, Jenkins RG, Wessell AM, Nemeth LS, Roylance L, Liszka H (2008). Improving the translation of research into primary care practice: results of a national quality improvement demonstration project. Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety, 34(7):379-390.
67. Rose HL, Miller PM, Nemeth LS, Jenkins RG, Nietert PJ, Wessell AM (2008). Alcohol screening and brief counseling in a primary care hypertensive population: a quality improvement intervention. In press, Addiction.
69. Ravenel JG, Leue WM, Nietert PJ, Miller J, Taylor K, Silvestri GA (2008). Effect of reconstruction parameters on automated volume measurements of pulmonary nodules: a phantom study. Radiology, 247(2): 400-408.
70. Kirbach S, Simpson K, Nietert PJ, Mintzer JE (2008). A Markov model of the cost-effectiveness of olanzapine treatment for agitation and psychosis in Alzheimer’s disease. Clinical Drug Investigation, 28(5):291-303.
71. Wessell AM, Nietert PJ, Jenkins RG, Nemeth LS, Ornstein SM (2008). Inappropriate medication use in the elderly: results from a quality improvement project in 99 primary care practices. The American Journal of Geriatric Pharmacotherapy, 6(1): 21-27.
72. Robinson D, Eisenberg D, Nietert PJ, Doyle M, Bala M, Paramore C, Fraeman K, Renahan K (2008). Systemic sclerosis prevalence and comorbidities in the United States, 2001-2002. Current Medical Research and Opinion, 24(4):1157-1166.
73. Danesh J et al. for the Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration (2007). The Emerging Risk Factors Collaboration: analysis of individual data on lipid, inflammatory and other markers in over 1.1 million participants in 104 prospective studies of cardiovascular diseases. European Journal of Epidemiology, 22:839-869.
74. Bouali, H, Cooper G, Dooley MA, Oates JC, Harley J, Nietert PJ, Gilkeson G (2007). Association of the G-463A myeloperoxidase gene polymorphism with renal disease in blacks with systemic lupus erythematosus. Journal of Rheumatology, 34(10):2028-2034.
75. Santa Ana EJ, Wulfert E, Nietert PJ (2007). Efficacy of group motivational interviewing (GMI) for psychiatric inpatients with chemical dependence. In press, Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology.
76. Wessell AM, Liszka HA, Nietert PJ, Jenkins RG, Nemeth LS, Ornstein SM (2007). Achievable Benchmarks of Care for primary care quality indicators in a practice-based research network. American Journal of Medical Quality, 23:39-46.
77. Nemeth LS, Wessell AM, Jenkins RG, Nietert PJ, Liszka HA, Ornstein SM (2007). Strategies to accelerate translation of research into primary care within practices using electronic medical records. Journal of Nursing Care Quality, 22(4):343-9.
78. Karam LB, Disco D, Jackson SM, Lewin D, McKie V, Baker RD, Baker SS, Laver JH, Nietert PJ, Abboud MR (2007). Liver biopsy results in patients with sickle cell disease on chronic transfusions: poor correlation with ferritin levels. Pediatric Blood and Cancer, doi10.1002/pbc.21215.
79. Bogatkevich GS, Ludwicka-Bradley A, Highland KB, Hant F, Nietert PJ, Singleton CB, Silver RM (2007). Down-regulation of collagen and connective tissue growth factor expression with hepatocyte growth factor in lung fibroblasts from white scleroderma patients via two signaling pathways. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 56(10):3468-3477.
80. Bogatkevich GS, Ludwicka-Bradley A, Highland KB, Hant F, Nietert PJ, Singleton CB, Feghali-Bostwick CA, Silver RM (2007). Antifibrotic effect of hepatocyte growth factor is impaired in lung fibroblasts from African Americans: possible role in systemic sclerosis. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 56(7):2432-2442.
82. Nietert PJ, French MT, Kirchner J, Booth BM (2007). Utilization and cost of mental health, substance abuse, and medical services among at-risk drinkers. Medical Care Research and Review, 64(4):431-448. DOI: 10.1177/1077558707301962.
83. Beall AD, Nietert PJ, Taylor MH, Mitchell HC, Shaftman SR, Silver RM, Smith EA, Bolster MB (2007). Ethnic disparities among patients with pulmonary hypertension associated with systemic sclerosis. Journal of Rheumatology, 34:1277-1282.
84. Feifer C, Nemeth L, Nietert PJ, Wessell AM, Jenkins RG, Roylance L, Ornstein SM (2007). Different paths to improvement: three archetypes of top performing practice sites. Annals of Family Medicine, 5:233-241.
85. Namboodiri AM, Budkowska A, Nietert PJ, Pandey JP (2007). Fc(gamma) receptor-like hepatitis C virus core protein binds differentially to IgG of discordant Fc (GM) genotypes. Molecular Immunology, 44(15):3805-3808.
86. Nietert PJ, Wessell A, Jenkins RG, Feifer C, Nemeth LS, Ornstein SM (2007). Using a summary measure for multiple quality indicators in primary care: the Summary Quality Index (SQUID). Implementation Science, 2:11.
89. Ornstein SM, Nietert PJ, Jenkins RG, Wessell AM, Nemeth LS, Feifer C, Corley ST (2007). Improving diabetes care through a multi-component quality improvement model in a practice-based research network. American Journal of Medical Quality, 22(1):34-41.
90. Bradford WD, Kleit AN, Nietert PJ, Ornstein S (2006). Effects of direct to consumer advertising of hydroxymethylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors on attainment of LDL-C goals. Clinical Therapeutics, 28(12): 2105-2118.
92. McCann H, Stanitski D, Barfield WR, Leupold JA, Nietert PJ (2006). The effect of tibial rotation on varus deformity measurement [Note: Published errata regarding authorship appears in 27(4):483]. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 26(3):380-384.
93. Bradford WD, Kleit AN, Nietert PJ, Steyer T, McIlwain T, and Ornstein S (2006). How direct-to-consumer television advertising for osteoarthritis drugs affects physicians' prescribing behavior. Health Affairs, 25(5):1371-1377.
94. Nietert PJ, Sutherland SE, Keil JE, Bachman DL (2006). Demographic and biologic influences on survival in whites and blacks: 40 years of follow-up in the Charleston Heart Study. International Journal for Equity in Health, 5(8) (03 Jul 2006).
95. Miller PM, Stockdell R, Nemeth L, Feifer C, Jenkins RG, Nietert PJ, Wessell A, Liszka H, Ornstein S (2006). Initial steps taken by nine primary care practices to implement alcohol screening guidelines with hypertensive patients: The AA-TRIP project. Substance Abuse, 27 (1/2):61-70.
96. Robinson D, Hackett M, Wong J, Kimball A, Cohen R, & Bala M for the IMID Study Group (2006). Co-occurrence and comorbidities in patients with immune-mediated inflammatory disorders: an exploration using US healthcare claims data, 2001-2002. Current Medical Research and Opinion, 22(5):989-1000.
97. Feifer C, Ornstein SM, Jenkins RG, Wessell AM, Corley ST, Nemeth LS, Roylance L, Nietert PJ, & Liszka, H (2006). The logic behind a multi-method intervention to improve adherence to clinical practice guidelines in a nationwide network of primary care practices. Evaluation & the Health Professions, 29(1):65-88.
98. Nietert PJ, Mitchell HC, Bolster MB, Shaftman SR, Tilley BC, Silver RM (2006). Racial variation in clinical and immunological manifestations of systemic sclerosis. Journal of Rheumatology, 33(2):263-268.
99. Nietert PJ, Wessell AM, Feifer C, Ornstein SM (2006). The effect of terminal digit preference on blood pressure measurement and treatment in primary care. American Journal of Hypertension, 19:147-152.
100. Jenkins RG, Ornstein SM, Nietert PJ, Klockars SJ, Thiedke C (2006). Quality improvement for prevention of cardiovascular disease and stroke in an academic family medicine center: are there racial differences in outcome? Ethnicity and Disease, 16:132-137.
101. Brawman-Mintzer O, Knapp RG, Nietert PJ (2005). Adjunctive risperidone in generalized anxiety disorder: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. The Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 66:1321-1325.
103. Nietert PJ, Silver RM, Mitchell HC, Shaftman SR, Tilley BC (2005). Demographic and clinical factors associated with in-hospital death among patients with systemic sclerosis. Journal of Rheumatology, 32(10): 1888-1922.
104. Barfield WR, Otteni JF, McBryde A, Carter JS, Nietert PJ (2005). Longitudinal study of factors affecting stress fracture risk in two distinct college female populations. Journal of Exercise and Sport Sciences, 1(1): 29-41.
105. Pastis NJ, Nietert PJ, Silvestri GA (2005). Fellows’ perspective of their training in interventional pulmonary procedures. Journal of Bronchology, 12(2): 88-95.
107. Pastis NJ, Nietert PJ, Silvestri GA (2005). Variation in training for interventional pulmonary procedures among U.S. pulmonary/critical care fellowships: A survey of fellowship directors. Chest, 127: 1614-1621.
109. Nietert PJ, Mitchell HC, Bolster MB, Curran MY, Tilley BC, Silver RM (2005). Correlates of depression, including overall and gastrointestinal functional status, among patients with systemic sclerosis. Journal of Rheumatology, 32(1): 51-57.
110. Nietert PJ, Ornstein SM, Jenkins RG, Roylance LF, Dickerson LM, Feifer C (2005). The effect of ethnicity on outcomes in a practice-based trial to improve cardiovascular disease prevention. International Journal for Equity in Health, 3(12).
111. Natarajan, S, Nietert PJ (2004). Hypertension, diabetes, hypercholesterolemia, and their combinations increased health care utilization and decreased health status. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 57: 954-961.
112. Ornstein SM, Jenkins RG, Nietert PJ, Feifer C, Roylance LF, Nemeth L, Corley S, Dickerson L, Bradford WD, Litvin C (2004). Multi-method quality improvement intervention vs. quarterly performance reports to improve preventive cardiovascular care: a cluster randomized trial. Annals of Internal Medicine, 141(7): 523-532.
113. Brothers TE, Cox MH, Robison JG, Elliott BM, Nietert PJ (2004). Prospective decision analysis modeling indicates that clinical decisions in vascular surgery often fail to maximize patient expected utility. Journal of Surgical Research, 120:278-287.
115. Miller PM, Ornstein SM, Nietert PJ, Anton RF (2004). Self-report and biomarker alcohol screening by primary care physicians: the need to translate research into guidelines and practice. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 39(4): 325-328.
117. Hutcheson ACS, Nietert PJ, Maize JC (2004). Incidental epidermolytic hyperkeratosis and focal acantholytic dyskeratosis in common acquired melanocytic nevi and atypical melanocytic lesions. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 50(3): 388-390.
120. Nietert PJ, Ornstein SM, Dickerson LM, Rothenberg RJ (2003). Comparison of changes in blood pressure measurements and anti-hypertensive therapy in older hypertensive ambulatory care patients prescribed celecoxib or rofecoxib. Pharmacotherapy, 23(11): 1416-1423.
121. Kral MC, Brown RT, Nietert PJ, Abboud MR, Jackson SM, Hynd GW (2003). Transcranial Doppler ultrasonography and neurocognitive functioning in children with sickle cell disease. Pediatrics, 112: 324-331.
123. Nietert PJ, Silverstein MD, Mokhashi MS, Kim CY, Glenn TF, Marsi VA, Hawes RH, Wallace MB (2003). Cost-effectiveness of screening a population with chronic gastroesophageal reflux. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, 57(3): 311-318.
126. Wessell AM, Ornstein SM, Nietert PJ, Wilson JP (2003). Achieving blood pressure control in patients with diabetes: a case study in primary care. Topics in Health Information and Management, 24(1): 3-7.
127. Stuart GW, Laraia MT, Ornstein SM, Nietert PJ (2003). An interactive voice response system to enhance antidepressant medication compliance. Topics in Health Information and Management, 24(1): 15-20.
128. Silverstein MD, Nietert PJ, Ye X, Lackland DT (2003). Racial disparities in the incidence of lung cancer: the Savannah River region health information system cancer registry, 1991-1995. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and the Underserved, 14(1): 23-33.
129. Woolf SK , Barfield WR, Nietert PJ, Mainous AG, Glaser JA (2002). The Cooper River Bridge Run Study of low back pain in runners and walkers. Journal of the Southern Orthopedic Association, 11(3): 136-143.
130. Wallace MB, Nietert PJ, Earle C, Krasna M, Hawes RH, Hoffman B, Reed CE (2002). An analysis of multiple staging strategies for carcinoma of the esophagus: computed tomography, endoscopic ultrasound, positron emission tomography and thoracoscopy/ laparoscopy. Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 74:1026-32.
131. Silverstein MD, Nietert PJ, Ye X, Lackland DT (2002). Access to care and stage at diagnosis for patients with lung cancer and esophageal: analysis of the Savannah River Region Information System cancer registry. Southern Medical Journal, 95(8): 900-908.
134. Dobson SR, Holden KR, Nietert PJ, Cure J, Shimoda K, Disco D, Abboud MR (2002). Moyamoya syndrome in childhood sickle cell disease: a predictive factor for recurrent cerebrovascular events. Blood, 99: 3144-3150.
137. Glaser JA, Baltz MA, Nietert PJ, & Bensen CV (2001). Electrical muscle stimulation as an adjunct to exercise therapy in the treatment of non-acute low back pain - a randomized trial. Journal of Pain: 2: 295-300.
139. Nietert PJ, Silverstein MD, & Silver RM (2001). Hospital admissions, length of stay, charges, and in-hospital death among patients with systemic sclerosis. Journal of Rheumatology, 28: 2031-2037.
143. Nietert PJ, Abboud MR, Silverstein MD, & Jackson SM (2000). Bone marrow transplantation versus periodic prophylactic blood transfusion in sickle cell patients at high risk of ischemic stroke: a decision analysis. Blood, 95: 3057-3064.
148. Silverstein MD, Loftus EV, Sandborn WJ, Tremaine WJ, Feagan BG, Nietert PJ, Harmsen WS, & Zinsmeister AR (1999). Clinical course and costs of care for Crohn’s disease: Markov model analysis of a population-based cohort. Gastroenterology, 117:49-57.
151. Mintzer J, Mirski D, Unger R, Nietert PJ, Meeks A, & Sampson R. (1998). Fenfluramine challenge test as a marker of serotonin activity in patients with Alzheimer’s dementia and agitation. Biological Psychiatry, 44:918-21.